Winter Car Maintenance in Maryland
Let’s face it, the winters in Maryland are no joke. With temperatures often below freezing and plenty of snow and ice throughout the season, you can see why it’s so important to take care of your vehicle. These wintery conditions can put extra stress on your vehicle, so follow these winter car maintenance tips to make sure you’re good to go.
- Wipers – Have winter windshield wipers installed on your vehicle. They have a special rubber that will make sure ice doesn’t collect on them. Wiper blades should be replaced twice a year, and the beginning of winter is one of those times.
- Tires – If you choose to drive on winter or snow tires, make sure they’re properly installed before the weather gets too cold. If you go with all-season tires, make sure they’re properly inflated and have enough tread depth. Make sure you have a good spare tire as well.
- Tune-Up – It’s a good idea to schedule a tune-up before the winter officially arrives. Any existing issues with your vehicle can be made worse with extremely cold weather, so it’s best to address them ahead of time.
- Emergency Kit – Just in case you become stranded, you’ll want to prepare an emergency kit and keep it in your vehicle. Some items to include are jumper cables, bottled water, flashlights, blankets, ice scrapers, and flares.
- Brakes – It’s recommended that you get your brakes checked before winter arrives. Worn down brakes can make it even more difficult to stop in snowy and icy conditions.
- Battery – Cold temperatures can be tough on your battery, and you wouldn’t want it to die when you’re out in the cold. The cold reduces your battery’s cranking power, so you’ll want to make sure it’s in good working condition. Have your battery and charging system checked out to make sure you’re good to go.
- Fluids – It’s always important to make sure your vehicle’s fluids are full, but especially during the winter. Be sure to have transmission fluid, anti-freeze, and more changed out before the winter starts.
- Oil – One of the most important fluids to have changed out is the oil. Your vehicle’s oil and filter should be changed regularly, and the changing of the seasons is a good time to have it done. This will help you keep your engine protected during the frigid temperatures.
Jerry’s Toyota is proud to offer express maintenance services in Baltimore which include oil and filter changes, brake inspections, tire rotations, fluid inspections, and more. We invite you to learn more and schedule an appointment online today.