Oil Changes: Why are they so Important?
You know you should get regular oil changes. Your vehicle’s manual gives a recommended interval for oil changes, your mechanic may weigh in on how often he or she believes your car needs one, and there are businesses on just about every corner beckoning you in so that they can change your oil. What’s the big deal? Do you know why oil changes are so important?
Oil is a vital fluid for your car. Sometimes called the “lifeblood of the vehicle,” oil keeps the many parts of the engine working together efficiently, and it keeps contaminants from collecting on the engine. A recent study indicated that 22 percent of vehicles have low or dirty engine oil, which can lead to expensive repairs. Compare the average cost of oil changes to the cost of a major engine repair, and you’ll understand why it’s smart to properly maintain your vehicle’s oil.
- Your engine’s components will wear down without proper lubrication. Using the oil recommended by your car’s owner’s manual and keeping it at the recommended fill volume will help to keep your engine well-lubricated.
- Oil keeps the engine cool. Without oil, the moving parts will create friction, which generates heat. Keeping oil clean and at the right volume will keep the engine from overheating.
- As oil breaks down, it turns to sludge from collecting particles from the engine. This is a problem because dirt can cause corrosion and decrease the engine’s life. Changing the oil and replacing the filter regularly removes the particles and sludge that keep the engine from running at peak condition.
- Your gas mileage suffers if the engine isn’t well-lubricated. In fact, according to the U.S. Department of Energy, routine oil changes using the right kind of oil can improve your gas mileage by one to two percent. That’s the equivalent of a gallon of gas per year.
- Regular oil changes help your vehicle last longer. It’s generally recommended that you change the oil every 3,000 miles, and doing so will help your vehicle run more smoothly and efficiently. Keeping up with oil changes and other routine maintenance can greatly extend your car’s longevity, so it’s important to find a shop that you can trust to maintain your vehicle.
At Jerry’s Toyota, we offer maintenance to keep your car and all its systems running in top condition. When you purchase or lease a vehicle from us, you have access to the Jerry’s “It’s About You” loyalty program, which provides service long after the manufacturer’s service package has expired. It’s just one of the ways our entire team works together to make car shopping fun again by exceeding your expectations and delivering the best service possible. Our unmatched service, combined with our diverse Toyota inventory, have given us the reputation that makes us the preferred dealer in the Baltimore area. Visit our website to contact us, learn more about all we have to offer, and peruse available vehicles, or just come by and experience the Jerry’s Toyota difference for yourself.